Books á go-go, a new Melbourne-based ebook publisher, is calling for submissions for their Christmas 2011 publication. The chosen story will be illustrated and sold on the Apple iTunes store as an enhanced ebook.
They’re looking for submissions that:
- Are aimed at adults who enjoy reading children’s literature, as well as ‘kidults’.
- Possess a child-like, magical or creepy charm. Think Neil Gaiman, Shaun Tan, Tim Burton or even Charles Dickens.
- Use a Christmas setting or theme.
- Fit into the genre of steampunk, magical realism, fantasy or science fiction. Above all, they want stories that are intriguing, entertaining and well-crafted.
- Between 3,000-5,000 words.
- Payment will be a $AU200 advance with 10% royalties. (The illustrator will also receive 10%.)
Preference may be given to stories by Australian authors.
The author will need to be available for some promotional activity between Oct and Dec 2011. (This could be online.)
How to submit your story
Send a pitch or synopsis of no more than 100 words, along with a 500 word sample in the body of your email, to: publisher at booksago-go dot com dot au
- Your full name.
- Use or include an email address that you check regularly and is operational.
- Your address and a phone number, including area code.
- A pitch or synopsis of no more than 100 words.
- A 500-word sample of your story.
Deadline for submissions
The deadline for pitches and samples is 5pm AEDT on Friday, 1 April 2011.
If your story is selected, you’ll need to supply your completed story by 5pm AEST on Friday, 22 April 2011.
Please note no submissions for this project will be accepted after 1 April, 2011.
Cat in plane illustration courtesy Basak Savcigil.